Sunday, December 28, 2008

A taste of future bounty

Yesterday we all piled in the car, turned on the GPS, and headed for Chartres. Chartres is the one place in France that I've wanted to visit for many, many years. It's the only place I decided I wanted to see before we moved here!

It took almost six months, but finally I did it.

I believe I was introduced to the Labyrinth about 20 years ago. I have been walking this path every chance I get. I've walked on outdoor ones made with piles of stones. I've walked on temporary ones made with masking tape on the floor. I've walked on canvas ones that get rolled up at the end of the evening. I've walked on some made with tile both indoors and out.

I've loved every one. I've even brought my oldest son with me on various occasions (and the others too). They've all been wonderful.

But this one... This is THE Labyrinth. The Original. The one on which all others are copies. People have been walking on THIS Labryinth for over 900 years.


Way cool.

Unfortunately, there were chairs set up, and we couldn't walk the circuit. But I will be able to go back (about an 80 minute drive). I found out what day of the week they remove the chairs.

To me, this is the best thing about living in France (so far!)
Oh, yeah... the cathedral was georgous too.

No comments:

Post a Comment