Saturday, August 28, 2010

Got religion?



There is a temple here that has been around for over a hundred years. When we lived here before, I attended sporadically. Being a small town in the south, rabbis are a little hard to come by. There was a woman rabbi here when we first arrived in 1998, but she was gone within a year or two. Then there was a retired rabbi from Chicago who flew in once or twice a month for awhile. Right now there is no rabbi at all, so all the services are lay-led.

I went to services last night by myself, and last week with all the kids. We were warmly welcomed and remembered. Nice feeling.

Since I've been gone from this place, I have deepened my understanding and appreciation for Judiasm. When in France I became a part of the community of moms at the temple program for kids. In Sugarland (the first time), I became a member of the sisterhood and attended various events. I even started celebrating Shabbat in the home a couple of times a month.

Now, that I am here in a place without a *leader*, I find that I am very drawn to participe.

I have been looking for a place where I feel at home and connected to a community. I think this is going to be one of those places. (I'm starting to think about activities I could host, and how to get the kids involved.) This could be great for us. For me.

No comments:

Post a Comment