Monday, March 02, 2009

The France Fifteen

Eeek. I got on the scale today, and it wasn't pretty. My friend (who has lived in at least three different countries), likens it to the "Freshman Fifteen," i.e., the weight you gain your first time away from home in college.

She points out that everything is new and different, and whatever good habits you may have had, go flying out the window in the face of everything being so foreign. You reach for comfort foods, and easily-recognizable foods, and easily-prepared foods.

This is not an excuse. But it does explain the problem. I have definitely been eating way more bread, cheese, chocolate croissants (mmmm), and quiches than ever before in my life. They are available, easy & inexpensive. Not to mention delicious. (It's fine when you travel here for a week's vacation. After seven months though, it adds up).

But.

This is NOT WORKING. I worked too hard to get to a handle on my weight to lose it now. It is time to get back into shape and take care of myself again. Here's how I'm going to do it:

1. Slow Down. I'm going to eat my meals sitting down (not standing at the counter), and take time to enjoy the food. Whether or not the kids do.
2. More Vegetables, less bread. Cheese tastes just as good on salad as it does on bread. Really.
3. Less Desserts. I've been eating dessert-y things as snacks. And then eating dessert later. And telling the kids they can't because "one sweet thing a day is enough." Time to follow my own advice.
4. Jazzercise! I've scheduled two classes per week through the month of March (still looking for a permanent location). Teaching twice per week, and practicing another two or three times per week should help me regain my strength.

And that's it. I know there are a host of other, detailed things I could be doing, but I think these four things by themselves will help immensely. I'm making this public because it helps me make the commitment. Feel free to ask me, nudge me, cheer me on and/or make faces at me. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to announce to the world.. blog world at least, that you are making a change. Here's me cheering "go, girl".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan! I agree with Cindy - writing about it also helps you stay accountable.

    Do you walk a lot where you are? I imagine that helps..plus - drinks TONS and TONS of water! I always tell my PT clients that when they're craving something sweet they should drink a giant glass of water and then see if they are still hungry or craving something. You'd be amazed at what drinking more water could do for losing weight. :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete