Thursday, July 02, 2009

It's a Fine Life*


For your viewing pleasure - a field of rapseed, looking up.

It's official. I am 40 years old. Today. So far (other than a sore knee), forty feels pretty good.

I woke up early (not on purpose, but it worked out that way). I took myself for a brisk walk in the cool morning air. I returned in time to switch parenting duties with T, who left for work. Since the boys were still sleeping, I got out my journal and wrote a little.

I thought about something Jeremy Taylor says about how our dreams always come to us in the service of health and wholeness, and that our souls are always striving toward wholeness. It occured to me that this might be true for my body as well - it, too, is doing its best to heal. Maybe all I need to do is to get out of the way, and stop trying to push it so hard.

I am concerned that if my knee doesn't heal, teaching Jazzercise will be damaging to myself rather than good for me. Which, makes this really important. I'm getting support, and I'm attending to it. I think I'll be good for September.

After writing in my journal, the boys still weren't up, so I came in to check out my email and read my favorite inspiring blog. Within moments, I got a skype call from a good friend who had stayed up late (Colorado time) to wish me happy birthday. Then, after saying goodbye, I read a lovely letter from my mother, describing how my life was as a baby.

While I was reading, my brother (who is also in Colorado) skyped too, and I got to talk to him. By that time, the boys were up and got to say hello to their "Uncle Monkey Face" too.

What a nice way to start my 4th decade.

Tonight T is taking me out to a fancy dinner at La Maison Blanche, and next weekend I will take myself to a spa in Alsace. Life is good.

* It's a Fine Life

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:16 PM

    Joyeux Anniversaire Rachel!

    Muriel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley8:28 PM

    Happy Birthday! I do hope the rest of your day went well. See you in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Oh! What a lovely description of how you ended your 40th year! I love what you wrote here about dreams and healing. I read Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist yesterday, and I think I'm going to make a habit of reading it regularly. Perhaps on each birthday. It contains delicious reminders of what happens when we are following our best Inner Knowing ~ and what happens when we do not.

    May your year ahead be filled with the ease of knowing that you are on YOUR distinct path, what Coehlo calls one's Personal Legend.

    Thanks for the beauty of your writing.

    Hugs,
    Jillene

    ReplyDelete