Saturday, February 19, 2011

In appreciation of children

Conversations between E & A
Where did dinosaurs live?
In the desert.
No, cowboys live there.
Dinosaurs died because humans live here now.

A's question this morning
Where do fish go in the winter?
The same place they go in summer.
But what about when it snows?

Mornings
Even though I think the younger boys are probably old enough to wake themselves up to get ready for school, I don't mind participating. My "payment" for participating is that I get snuggle time. And during snuggle time, I get to hold them and touch their soft smooth skin. And boy oh boy do they have wonderful skin. Yum!

R has decided that he doesn't like his alarm clock and would rather I wake him up personally. And so, even though he is ten, I still do. Ten years old and still wants a hug from his mama in the morning. In fact, he is still quite the snuggler. I wonder how long it will last. I think J stopped around age 11. R may last longer.

J
It amazes me to watch my oldest move from "little boy" to adolescent. He is everything all the books/magazines talk about - with wild mood swings, infuriating obnoxiousness, and delightful inventions, often within three minutes of one another. Four more months and he will be an official teenager. (Which marks the beginning of a 12 year cycle that I will have at least one teenage boy in my home).

Yesterday dirt & mulch & plants arrived to be worked into the landscape and garden. All of the boys (except E) pitched in to help (with the promise of monetary reward). They were all so cheerful and willing. Kind of surprised me. In a good way.

Wonder if it will last through today - 'cause there is a lot more to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment